2016-2017 Jr Rowing Season
San Diego Crew Classic, Mission Bay – April 1-2
This race is attended by the boys and girls Varsity 8+, JV8+, Lightweight 8+, and Novice “A” 8+’s only. (Select Novice and Varsity)
Thursday 3/30– One Trailer is loaded and departs for San Diego that night, driver usually drops trailer off and returns to Newport
- Athletes depart NAC between 8-9am to arrive in San Diego between 10-11am. Rig Boats and practice on race course. Lunch on the “road”/with drivers after practice.
- Dinner is usually paid by the athletes and reservations/location is up to the coaches.
- Racing all day but athletes are only at course per their race schedule. Only WATER is needed, snacks, etc. are brought by the athletes
- Dinner is the same as Friday
- Racing throughout the day. Athletes usually race their finals, de-rig and load trailer, then are allowed to watch some more racing before departing for Newport. Usually return between 4-5pm
- Novice athletes arrive this day (carpool or self-transport) as their race is currently only a one-day event
- Only WATER is needed as snacks, etc. are the athletes’ responsibility
Long Beach Invitational, April 8-9
Boys Novice Only and Select Varsity
Southwest Regional Championships, Lake Natoma, May 5-7
This race is attended by ALL athletes.
Wednesday 5/3– Two shell trailers are loaded at practice and depart for Sacramento that night (usually 8-9pm) and arrive Thursday morning as gates open to get preferred trailer parking spots.
- Athletes depart NAC at 12pm (usually 4 buses, may need an additional van pending final numbers)
- Dinner on the road, arrive at hotel approx. 11pm
- 6am Boat Sling set-up for coaches
- 7:30am Athletes leave hotel for course to rig and practice. Breakfast at the hotel, snacks, LOTS of water, and lunch at the course.
- NEW THIS YEAR: ALL COXSWAIN WEIGH-INS ARE THIS AFTERNOON.
- Time Trials for certain events may begin as early as 3pm this year so practice must be concluded by 2:30pm (unless schedule changes). Dinner has generally been served by caterer at the race venue. Current TT events are Novice 4+’s, Third Varsity 8’s (3V’s), Varsity 4x’s, and often many more.
- Athletes return to Hotel based on dinner and racing schedule approx. 6pm
- Athletes arrive at course based on bus schedule determined by coaches. Breakfast is available at the hotel but some may need light snack items for early arrival.
- Racing all day. Caterer provides lunch and dinner at the race course. Water and Snacks needed throughout.
- Athletes may use a “recovery suite” at the hotel across the street to get off their feet and stay away from the course in order to prepare for racing finals after morning heats (each squad should get a suite as listed on the attached hotel document).
- Return to hotel after dinner and racing conclude
- Athletes arrive at course based on bus schedule determined by coaches. Breakfast available at hotel, some may need light snacks for early arrival.
- Recovery suite needs to be available for the entire day until racing concludes.
- Racing all day. Caterer provides lunch at race course. Dinner on the road.
- Approx. departure time 4pm pending race schedule, site breakdown, clean-up, and trailer loading. Return to NAC 12-2am pending drive.
Nationals, June 9-11 Nathan Benderson Park – Sarasota, FL